FALMOUTH, MA (July 19, 2018)—Ten non-profit groups have been awarded a total of $48,382 in grants as part of the latest semi-annual series of donations by Falmouth Road Race, Inc., the organization has announced.
Among the projects to be funded will be a new school running path, support services for Falmouth residents with dementia, uniforms and equipment for several sports teams, and summer camp for children in the foster care system. Representatives from the organizations accepted their checks at a presentation ceremony last night at Quicks Hole Tavern in Woods Hole.
The grant program was established as a way for Falmouth Road Race, Inc. to give back to the community for its help and support. Each year, Falmouth residents and organizations provide many hours of volunteering for the New Balance Falmouth Road Race, a world-class event for both elite and recreational runners, as well as for the Aetna Falmouth Elite Mile, the SBLI Family Fun Run, and the Health & Fitness Expo.
“We’re all excited as the road race is about to be run for the 46th time,” said Geoff Nickerson, president of the board of directors. “The race brings people from all over the world to Falmouth, and for that we are proud. We’re also grateful that the race helps us give back to those who call Falmouth and our surrounding communities home. These are the people and organizations that support the race and our communities year-round, and all that we’re able accomplish is done with their support.”
Since fiscal year 2012-2013, Falmouth Road Race, Inc. has contributed more than $2.1 million to the health and wellness of Falmouth and the surrounding area through Community Giving and Grants.
Receiving grants in this semi-annual round were:
- AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod (design and print informational brochures about their services)
- Behavioral Health Crisis Team/Morse Pond School (staff training in psychological first aid for schools)
- Cape Cod Ambassadors (offset cost of sporting activities for children in foster-care system)
- Cape Cod Curling Club (uniforms and equipment)
- Cape Cod MOVES, Inc. (host running events)
- Cape Cod Rugby Football Club (new equipment, team-growth initiatives)
- Carver Educational Foundation (new running path)
- Cranberry Baseball League (jerseys and helmets)
- Falmouth Volunteers in Public Schools, Inc. – VIPS (support for its focus on health and wellness program)
- Falmouth Together Memory Café (support services for Falmouth residents living with dementia)
About Falmouth Road Race, Inc. The New Balance Falmouth Road Race was established in 1973 and has become one of the premier running events of the summer season. Each year the race draws an international field of Olympians, elite and recreational runners out to enjoy the iconic 7-mile seaside course. The non-profit Falmouth Road Race organization is committed to promoting health and fitness through community programs and philanthropic giving.